Hello out there,
We are looking to fill a couple of board member positions. If you would like to join us and help CCOL continue to exist and grow, we would be so happy to hear from you!
We currently have a position open for President and we are hoping a few more board members will join the comics library. To view all Director and Officer positions currently open and the application process, please visit this CCOL Get Involved page– there, you can read about the President’s role and board member positions. I’ve also included Director position information at the bottom of this blog post.
These past few years have been really challenging on a personal level for many of CCOL’s board members, and it has been tough having to close down during the pandemic. We need more help, energy, and additional perspectives.
These are all volunteer positions for now, including the President role, and will be tailored to what people have the capacity to contribute given these difficult limitations and difficult times we’re living in.
We would really appreciate you sharing this information with those you think may be interested and a good fit for these roles.
Thanks so much for your support,
Open Director Positions
To apply: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in a role, tell us a bit about yourself, relevant experience, and why you’re interested in helping out! Please also attach a recent resume, CV, or include relevant information in your email.
We are currently looking to fill the following Director positions:
- Making internal decisions including amendments, disciplinary actions, finances, projects, etc.
- Appointing responsibilities to other executive members, if or when necessary.
- Training and advising the new executive members throughout the year
- Initial planning of seasonal, summer or annual events
- Must actively participate in meetings and/or events throughout the year in order to assist other executives, and hold a vote.
Ro Diamant is the interim President and will be leaving their role when another President is found. Ro started working on the Canada Comics Open Library in 2017, with the goal of helping to make the comics medium more accessible and showcasing the work of creators living in Canada. They officially founded and launched the project in 2018 with the help of other board members and library volunteers, and have served as the President and Librarian since 2018.
Ro will be working with and training the incoming President.
- Acts as CCOL library director, responsible for library operations and logistics, regularly collaborating with Library Manager and other board members.
- Serves as CCOL’s lead representative and act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Schedules the public and executive council meetings
- Setting up and leading board meetings (scheduling through Doodle poll or other methods); setting up the AGM each year. Creating meeting agendas, sending out the meeting minutes in collaboration with the Secretary. Some of these tasks can be delegated.
- Makes sure that all minimum executive council positions are filled, and work to fill empty positions.
- Ensures appropriate and fair delegation of tasks among the executive council
- Is one of the signatories on CCOL’s bank accounts
- Steers the organization: Looking for and establishing community partnerships, sponsorships, etc.
- Emails: Responding to the general CCOL email account: email@example.com (can delegate)
- Sending out updates to library members through CCOL’s mailchimp (can delegate)
- Long-term funding and fundraising strategies along with other board members
- Consults with the Library manager and Volunteer Coordinator regularly to make sure library is running well and resolve library space conflicts
- Works with Treasurer to ensure receipts are updated in Wave and budget requirements are met
- Helps write/edit grant project proposals
- Ensures all club documentation is up to date and organized
- Makes sure all relevant documents are included and organized for board members to access in the CCOL Google Drive, and annual paperwork/forms are submitted
- Open Source software currently used: Slack, Asana, Sling, Wave (financial software used by Treasurer), Mailchimp, OpenBiblio, Google drive
- Annual organization admin duties:
- Insurance is paid
- Rent is paid each month
- Domain/website hosting
- AGM requirements met
- T2 Corporate Return (consult with Treasurer)
- Annual Return filed with Corporations Canada
Thanks so much for your interest!
Featured image: Several participants at a workshop event in October 2019 at our previous Regent Park Library at the Centre for Social Innovation, gathered round a rectangular wooden table, drawing, surrounded by comics, with ink bottles and art supplies scattered on the table.